Sunday, September 19, 2010

Why Am I Awake Right Now?

I knew I had a lot of work to do before the weekend began. Finish a unit plan, write daily lesson plans for submission to my principal, make slideshows for the week, grade quizzes, prepare labs. I did, however, expect to have plenty of time to hang out with friends and even go to the Phillies game on Saturday night. But Saturday afternoon came along, and I hadn't accomplished anything. I felt the stress monster creeping up on me. (What?? It's too early in the year for this!) So I canceled plans to go see Phillies, turned up Pandora (and used at least a quarter of my monthly allotment), and got to work. I made every effort to focus. I was fairly productive. Yet I only achieved one and a half of my goals for the night. I wasn't tired when I turned off my computer at 12:45am, but I figured it was necessary.

I jerked awake at 5:30am. (Seriously? That's a tad earlier than when I wake up during the work week.) After mentally rearranging all the clothes in my closet by color and reading five New York Times articles (Nate Silver is the man), I gave up and shuffled over to my desk. Right now, I am thinking deep thoughts about forensic science as I wait for the sun to come up.

Yes, I love my kids. Yes, I love teaching them. Yes, I wish I could have more fun and get more sleep on the weekends. But I gotta do what I gotta do, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment