Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Blog Is Back... And So Is School

Hi everyone! Welcome back! I took an unannounced summer vacation from blogging. I apologize for that; I'll try to do better in the future.

Anyhow, I am back in the front of the classroom and ready to begin blogging again. Already, I am very excited for this year to get underway. I remember my first day of school last year -- how jittery and awkward I was. My students knew that I was new immediately. I thought they were oh so perceptive, but I realize now how easy it was to see through my scripted lines and unfamiliarity with the school.

Fast forward one year. I was much less prepared for the first day of school, which was yesterday, in the sense that I had not planned out every minute of every period. However, I knew what I wanted to say and what points I wanted to emphasize. I was much more relaxed and genuinely content to meet my new students. The result? With few exceptions, my kids were well-behaved and excited to learn. Several of them explicitly stated that they were looking forward to my class.

I'm looking forward to teaching them.

What a difference a year makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment