Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Teach, Vomit, Teach

Yesterday was without a doubt my worst day of teaching. My kids were well-behaved, and I had prepared my lessons in advance. But sometime around 11am, while I was teaching my 5th period class about sea turtles in the Gulf of Mexico, I moved my hands instinctively to my mouth. A moment later, I ran into the prep room that adjoins my room and vomited violently into the trash can. I returned and, amidst gleeful accusations that I was pregnant, continued to teach.

The same thing happened 6th period, though a little earlier in the lesson. I ran out of the room, vomited, and came back, all smiles to teach. At the same time, my body was starting to betray me. I could no longer stand up. My head pounded. My mouth burned. One of my best friends had invited me to observe his lesson during one of my free periods, but I couldn't even sit still at a desk without feeling pain and discomfort. I was committed to teaching my final, 9th period class, but I eventually accepted the obvious, that I was in no condition to get up in front of a class. Fortunately, my amazing coteacher, who has 9th period free, agreed to teach my class for me. I was helping her set up at the beginning of the period, when I knew I had to run. I didn't make it to the prep room but vomited into my classroom's trash can, just as two students walked in.

That last event really bothered me. While I don't want to get any students sick, it's important to me to teach at all times, even if I'm not feeling my best. In general, I think my students benefit more from their regular teacher functioning at 75% than a substitute. In this case, my coteacher does not really count as a substitute. She knew the material and handled the class impressively, given that she didn't know most of the students. Between me and her, she was the better choice to teach the class yesterday. Nevertheless, I was disappointed in myself. I thought I was invincible, but I guess I'm not.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you're better than a sub, but, averaged out over the whole week, is having you that day better than not having you at all? My experience is: probably not. If you're really sick, you should go home and get well. You'll do better in the long run making up a lost day than with you functioning at 50% for several days because it took you forever to get well. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete