Sunday, April 4, 2010

Yes, Hurling Insults Is a Good Way to Express Your Frustration. Duh.

Tuesday was the last day of the marking period. At the end of class, nearly all of my students wanted to see the grades that will appear on their report cards in a few weeks. Most students were not surprised by the number I showed them, as they have been made aware of their grades all marking period long. However...

Poorly Influenced by Boisterous But Lovable: Miss, why do I have a 67? That can't be right. I know my grade's higher.

Me: Well, actually, you got a zero on your meiosis quiz, and you didn't do so well on your cell cycle quiz. And you more or less stopped doing homework this marking period.

Poorly Influenced: But I did my project, and you promised my grade would go up if I did my project.

Me: That's correct, your grade did go up.

Poorly Influenced: But you promised me a C!

Me: I definitely didn't promise you any specific grade.

Poorly Influenced: No, you promised me a C! You're a cheater and a liar!

Me: Hey, look, a 67 is passing, which is awesome. And if you do what you did this marking period, plus study more for tests and do a better job with homework, then you might do even better next marking period.

Poorly Influenced: You promised me a C! I hate you! You're a bad teacher!

Me: (sighing) Have a good spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment