Saturday, April 10, 2010

Laryngitis, Part Two

Well, I taught five classes, despite not having a voice. My kids made fun of me nonstop, but, overall, I was impressed at how respectful and well-behaved they were through the day. Coincidentally, one of my best friends had planned to spend the school day with me yesterday, and she was enormously helpful, especially in getting my three biology classes to complete a procedurally-intensive DNA extraction lab.

But I do want to give my kids a lot of credit for staying in control (while maintaining their usual levels of chattiness) when they easily could have taken advantage of me. Not only that, but they were SO EAGER to tell me what they knew about base-pairing and helicases and so on. Yay!

And my friend's impressions after spending a full day at school? "I was expecting so much worse. I never felt unsafe, and your kids seemed like really good kids. And the majority of them really seemed to care about learning science."

No comments:

Post a Comment