Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

School was CRRRRAAAZZZY yesterday. I had always thought Valentine's Day was a cute holiday but ultimately too kitschy for people to really take it seriously. Boy, was I wrong! My kids were more excited about Valentine's Day than they were about Halloween or Christmas. Girls walked around ALL DAY with flowers, balloons, and giant stuffed animals. Rather than put those items in their lockers, it was important to show them off to every other girl, all of whom where carrying the EXACT SAME THINGS. And then --

"Miss, where's my Valentine? Did you get me one?"

(in my head) Did you get me one? Probably not.

The biggest problem was that students somehow felt that Valentine's Day constituted a holiday from classwork and learning. The halls were full of students, students would walk out of class unannounced and return with loads of goodies, and students told that they definitely would not do their homework, I guess because they have to go out on Valentine's Day dates from 3:04pm to midnight.

Sigh. I hate to be the one to tell them that, in the real world, February 14th is not a federal holiday.

1 comment:

  1. +1,000,000

    I had the worst day ever. Never ever ever working on Valentine's Day again. It is not worth it. We were lucky ducks last year.

    ReplyDelete