Sunday, November 29, 2009

To Give and To Receive

Having just finished my first Thanksgiving weekend as a teacher, I am confident I appreciate this holiday more than ever before. I loved being able to wake up late, relax, and reflect. I loved seeing friends who aren't teachers and remembering that I belong to a larger world. My only complaint is that four days is not long enough; it was little more than a teaser. I would love a snow day tomorrow, but, oh wait -- It's 56 degrees in Philadelphia right now. Mother Nature may have forgotten about winter this year...

Some final thoughts:

  • I love Thanksgiving. I love that a day dedicated to gratitude is integral to American life. But we should not save our thanks for one day; rather, we should effuse appreciation every day of every week. We are surrounded by so many people who help us, who lift us up, who share with us random acts of kindness. In our every action, we must give thanks -- and pass it on.

  • I miss my kids. Yes, it was great to get a break from hearing "Miss!!!!" yelled across the classroom and having to divide my attention twenty different ways and dealing with students who curse at me for no reason at all. But in three months, I have come to care about my kids beyond reason. I look forward to seeing their talkative, scowling, shining faces tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment