Sunday, November 15, 2009

All About Objectives

"Discontent is the first necessity of progress." - Thomas A. Edison

Welcome! I am a first-year high school teacher in inner city Philadelphia. When I starting teaching ten weeks ago, I scoured the internet for blogs/resources/anything for first-year teachers, anything that would provide me with hope and emotional support. I found practically nothing. So I am writing this blog to help out other first-year teachers, to share my experiences with my friends and family, and to give myself some cathartic relief. Indeed, I wish I could say that the first ten weeks of teaching have been marvelous, but I think I would be more apt to describe them as a magnificent blunder.

My experience with veteran teachers has been that most selectively forget the challenges of their first year. I would like to record my thoughts and observations before despondence forces these memories out of me, as well. Yet, at this point, I am still hopeful. I maintain that I love my job. I love my kids. I know I can make this a good year.

If you have any comments, suggestions, ideas, or inspiration for me, please share! I will try to update this blog as much as possible. Be prepared for some raw emotion, lesson plans, love, cynicism, and blueberries.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea - to memorialize your experiences and thoughts. Memories that others have tucked under the sheets and forgotten.

    ReplyDelete