Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Day!

There was snow on the ground when I woke up yesterday. Snow blew through the air as I drove to work. After last year's 7 snow days, the School District is understandably reluctant to cancel school for snow, and so school opened at 8am, as usual.

Given the wintry conditions, I was surprised that one-third of our students showed up to school. (More students might have come, but rumors were surfacing on Facebook that there was a two-hour delay.) But the storm continued to rage, and we learned at 10:30am that school would close at 12 noon.

Students felt the announcement obviated the need to learn. So I gave up when 5 students showed up to 5th period. I put on Planet Earth. (My students completely ignored the film. They posted status updates on Facebook instead.)

Today, there is a foot of snow on the ground. I would love to teach, but, hey, I'm not complaining about a snow day.

1 comment:

  1. How is it that all your students have smart phones? I don't even have a smart phone. Though someone did tease me about the fact that my phone flips open, so maybe it's not them, it's me.

    ReplyDelete