Monday, June 14, 2010

Walking Companion

I was taking a walk across my neighborhood on Saturday night when I saw a familiar face: a student in one of my coworker's classes. Since she is not my student, I didn't know anything about her, except that I knew her to have a sweet and generous nature. She giggled when she saw me and asked if I lived in the neighborhood. I answered in the affirmative and asked the same of her. She hesitated, giggled some more, and then told me that she had recently been placed in a battered women's shelter two blocks north of the street corner on which we were standing. She said she was out exploring the neighborhood. I invited her to take a walk with me.

As we talked, she confirmed my preconceived impression of her in every way. Finally, I asked her why she was living in the shelter. She said that she had gotten into a fight with her father and stepmother. The fight had gotten physical, and her parents eventually called the police on her. The powers that be immediately pulled her from her parents and placed her in the shelter in which she is currently living. I asked if she wanted to go home after her sojourn in the shelter, and she shook her head vigorously. She didn't know what she was going to do, but she didn't feel safe with her parents.

Throughout our entire walk, I was so impressed by the grace and maturity she exhibited. I am still amazed at what my students go through, and how well some of them handle it. Even after a year of teaching, I can't quite fathom how such young people shoulder such large burdens.

I really hope everything works out for her. With any luck, I'll see her around the neighborhood again, and we'll get to take another walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment