Thursday, June 3, 2010

Preparedness

In Environmental Science, one of my smartest and laziest students neglected to bring her packet (in which all of her unit work is contained) to class for the second day in a row. Upon questioning, she told me her packet was in her locker. But when I wrote her a pass to go to her locker, she flat-out refused to leave. I asked and coaxed and pleaded with her to go to her locker, and still she refused, telling me she "didn't feel like it." I then directed her to go to her locker. Still, a refusal. Finally, I asked her to stand outside for the rest of the class. I know that probably wasn't the best option, but I was beginning to worry about the value of my authority. And I felt that if she wasn't going to obey my instruction to be prepared, that I had to assert my authority and command respect somehow, for her sake for the sake of the rest of the class. I still don't know what the best course of action would have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment