Sunday, February 7, 2010

Really Simple Instructions

On Friday, I gave my biology students a mitosis assignment to complete over the course of the period. I made it very clear that I would be collecting their work at the end of the period, and I reminded them of that fact throughout the 47 minute period.

Approximately 30% of my students did their work and handed something in. The other 70% goofed off, took out their notebooks upon hearing my 24th plea to do work, and promptly goofed off some more.

Oh. My. Gosh. What can I do to get my kids to care? And I know at the end of the marking period, all of my failing students will come to me and complain and accuse me of not teaching them.

My formula is pretty simple. If you try and hand stuff in, you will (most likely) pass. But I can't give you points for work that you don't do. So how can I better motivate my students?

No comments:

Post a Comment