Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday, I'm in Love

... with student achievement.



Well, I gave my 10th graders a test on cells today! We spent six weeks on the unit. They've known about the test for 2 weeks. They knew exactly what to study; I even gave them a study guide to complete and bribed them with extra credit if they actually did it. They should have been totally prepared to ace the test, right?

Not exactly. Most of my kids took one look at the test and immediately decided they were going to fail, so why bother trying? And the talking was out of control. In 6th period, they finally blew up at me for trying to keep the talking to a minimum. I was told eight times to go f*** myself, and heard six times that i was retarded. One kid even said, "Don't even bother talking to Miss, she's mentally retarded." Another girl said she would try to get me fired for telling her to be quiet and singling her out (which wasn't the case). Whew. So much for student achievement. We're going to have to work on the attitudes first.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty solid day. You would think that test days would be chill, laid back. They're honestly the days I get stressed out the most; I just watch student achievement go down the drain.

    ReplyDelete